2 May 2011
Job Vacancy: Director of Centre for Comparative Law in Africa – UCT
If you are an experienced, qualified and highly motivated person, then we invite you to apply for this three-year contract position as Director of the Centre for Comparative Law in Africa (CCLA). As the successful candidate, you will be required to set up and manage the Centre and, importantly, to seek funding to ensure the Centre’s sustainability. You will also assist the Chair: Comparative Law in Africa (to be appointed) to implement the vision and mission of the CCLA.
Activities and Responsibilities:
- Financial and Strategic Management
- Budgeting and strategic planning on a regular basis
- Actively seeking means to sustain the Chair and Centre beyond 2013
- Fundraising and securing donations and sponsorships as a matter of priority
- Facilitating high level projects for the Director of Research/Chair of CCLA
- Liaising with the Chair to develop a Postgraduate programme in Comparative Law in Africa
- Appointments and Recruitment
- Appointment of Administrative and Research staff, and the Recruitment of PhD students
- Assist in the recruitment of candidates for the Academic Visitors Programme and assistance in the selection of suitable candidates for the programme
- Responsible for defining key performance indicators of all positions line managed by the Director
- Responsible for evaluating positions regularly and staff development
- Management, Administration and Communication
- To promote the initiative in Africa and beyond to relevant parties, namely:- students, scholars, donors/funders
- Setting up of networks for African Comparative scholars
- Activating and ensuring the smooth running of the Visiting Academics Programme with the aim to increase exposure of the CCLA
- Initiating and co-ordinating communication within the Faculty and University, as well as with external stakeholders in respect of the Chair and CCLA
- Space Management within the Law Faculty pertaining to the CCLA
- Ensuring the CCLA becomes operational within one year of appointment
- Take responsibility for implementation of recommendations from the Dean, Director of Research, and Head of Department
- Profiling of the Chair and CCLA, i.e. by newsletters, strategic positioning etc.
- Systems Management
- Assisting the Chair in establishing a Postgraduate Programme
- Reviewing and regularly updating comprehensive learning objectives and training programmes utilized by the Centre
- Project management of new systems applicable to the Centre
- A Master’s or MBA degree;
- Proven fund-raising skills;
- The ability to write high level funding reports and proposals;
- Managerial and leadership qualities;
- Proficiency in English
- Financial literacy (budgeting, reporting, management).
The following will be advantageous:
- A legal qualification;
- Familiarity with other African legal systems;
- Fluency in French or Portuguese.
The annual remuneration package, including benefits for 2011 is in the range: R462 657 – R544 316.
To apply, please e-mail the completed UCT Application form and all other relevant documentation as indicated on the form to Ms Edith Graham, Staff Recruitment and Selection, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch, 7700.
E-mail: email@example.com; Tel: +27 21 650-5405; Faculty website: www.law.uct.ac.za
Reference number for this position: SR111/11 Closing date for applications: 27 May 2011
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at http://hr.uct.ac.za/policies/ee.php.
BACK TO TOP