Regard must be had to the higher standard of conduct expected from public officials, and the number of falsehoods that have been put forward by the Public Protector in the course of the litigation. This conduct included the numerous “misstatements”, like misrepresenting, under oath, her reliance on evidence of economic experts in drawing up the report, failing to provide a complete record, ordered and indexed, so that the contents thereof could be determined, failing to disclose material meetings and then obfuscating the reasons for them and the reasons why they had not been previously disclosed, and generally failing to provide the court with a frank and candid account of her conduct in preparing the report. The punitive aspect of the costs order therefore stands.
The Social Justice Coalition will be holding a protest meeting on Thibault Square in Cape Town on Saturday morning from 12 a.m. to protest the Dalai Lama decision, the arms deal corruption and the dismal service delivery. Their plan of action states that they demand a commitment by all political parties to:
- Always act in solidarity with marginalised people by actively promoting the bill of rights and the UN declaration of human rights, both locally and internationally, and make decisions based on its principles;
- Enforce the principle that all are equal before law
- Protect the independence and integrity of the courts and allow for due judicial process without political interference;
- Prioritise the needs of the poor, disenfranchised and most vulnerable;
- Work actively to stamp out racism, bigotry, xenophobia, sexism, religious discrimination and homophobia;
- Ensure that corporations locally and globally engage in fair trade with fair labour practices and openness in financial institutions.
Pity they are not on the ballot because then I could vote for a party in whose principles and values I actually believe. See you there?BACK TO TOP