“Ivanka [Trump] is no Princess Margaret and Jared [Kuschner] is not the Duke of Windsor regaling guests with amusing bon mots to a captive audience. No one wants to hear about Sarah Huckabee’s pies or Steven Bannon’s shirts.” A snob like that actually deserves a dynamic duo like them (and may shed light on how President Trump found the traction in the heartland that he did). Javanka can’t protest that they moderated the president, not after his past immoderate weeks of raging against democracy and conniving to subvert it. They can’t retroactively claim some profound but strangled ambivalence about his reign, not after her fangirl phantasmagoria at the Republican convention. No, they have made their bed. Lucky for them, the sheets have a serious thread count.
The Social Justice Coalition will be holding a protest meeting on Thibault Square in Cape Town on Saturday morning from 12 a.m. to protest the Dalai Lama decision, the arms deal corruption and the dismal service delivery. Their plan of action states that they demand a commitment by all political parties to:
- Always act in solidarity with marginalised people by actively promoting the bill of rights and the UN declaration of human rights, both locally and internationally, and make decisions based on its principles;
- Enforce the principle that all are equal before law
- Protect the independence and integrity of the courts and allow for due judicial process without political interference;
- Prioritise the needs of the poor, disenfranchised and most vulnerable;
- Work actively to stamp out racism, bigotry, xenophobia, sexism, religious discrimination and homophobia;
- Ensure that corporations locally and globally engage in fair trade with fair labour practices and openness in financial institutions.
Pity they are not on the ballot because then I could vote for a party in whose principles and values I actually believe. See you there?BACK TO TOP