The University of Cape Town, South Africa has partnered with the MasterCard Foundation in its Scholars Program to provide 300 scholarships for economically disadvantaged students from Africa to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate studies at UCT over a period of ten years. Students enrolled on the program will receive comprehensive scholarships, mentoring, leadership development, and life skills support. Scholars will also be supported to the address emotional and academic issues that arise for students during their university education. Academic support will include tutoring, language training, writing circles and guidance counselling.
To this end the University of Cape Town invites applications for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program 2015 in all study fields.
To be eligible for consideration for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, applicants must meet the following criteria:
TARGET GROUP –
- Be a citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- Be undergraduate (including Honors from 2016) and graduate (Masters by research and coursework and research Masters only) applicants;
- Be applicants in the fields of Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law and Sciences.
SELECTION CRITERIA –
- Academic eligibility for the intended course of study at UCT: All prospective Scholars must first be admitted to the University of Cape Town to be eligible for the Scholarship. Note that the scholarship application runs concurrently with the academic application.
- English Language Proficiency;
- Strong motivation given in the application essay to be part of Africa’s future success;
- Students emerging from economically disadvantaged household background;
- Commitment to return to the home country and take a leadership role in promoting social and economic improvement.
WHAT DOES THE SCHOLARSHIP COVER?
Comprehensive financial assistance with visa application, travel, tuition, living expenses, medical aid, accommodation and ad- hoc costs related to participation in this Scholars Program.
Academic curricula aimed at producing graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognised and locally applicable.
One-on-one meetings as well as counselling and workshop sessions aimed at academic and professional enrichment and development.
Service learning, experiential learning and career opportunities in Africa.
An array of cultural and transition services and training to ensure that each scholar successfully progresses academically, and preparation for transition to employment.
DURATION OF SCHOLARSHIPS
Scholarships are renewable annually providing that the following criteria are met:
- Consistent satisfactory academic performance.
- Demonstrable leadership qualities and participation in extra-mural activities.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information about the scholarship application procedure or criteria please contact Ms Nadia Chalkley firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com or call on telephone number +27 21 650 3601. To learn more about the the University of Cape Town please refer to the following website: www.uct.ac.za.
We look forward to our continued relations and in working together to provide equal opportunities to deserving candidates.